Monday, June 29, 2009

CIY Challenge

So our youth group just got back from CIY and on the last night, they passed out these little green envelopes to us. They told us inside them were different commitments we could make if we chose to open them. But if we opened them, we HAD TO DO THEM.
Everyone was pretty excited to open theirs, but our youth minister, Stony, told us we had to wait until Sunday morning at church.
We got home and came to church the next day. We began to go around the room opening the envelopes. Some of them said they had to volunteer to tutor elementary school kids for a year. Others said they had to volunteer in a soup kitchen and do whatever they say to do for a year. One girl had to plant a vegetable garden and give all its produce to a local food bank. Two people have to start a bible study at school. This one guy has to do 2 nice things for our youth minister a month for a year.
There were also things on the cards like "Raise $2,000 to send 10 non-Christian friends to CIY next year" and "Sell $500 worth of your stuff and give the money to a charity". One girl has to pay and plan a trip for her parents.
I have to memorize the book of Ephesians. But when it was read to me, I thought Stony said Exodus. Thats a 34 chapter difference. But I feel like I should have something more challenging. How is memorizing a book reaching out? I know I can talk to people about it, but still.
I already have to first 2 verses memorized:

1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus, by the will of God,
2 To the saints of Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

And I memorized that this morning.

I'm going to try and blog more often, also.

No comments: